Friday, September 19, 2008

Tommy's First Day of Preschool

First off, let me say that overall it was a very successful day.

We had Tommy all ready for the bus to pick him up at 7:50am but once it got here, he didn't want to go on. Thank God, there was a 5 point harness for him as it took everything I had to hold him in and buckle him. (NOTE: he wasn't supposed to have the harness - as of the last conversation I had with his coordinator, although Tom and I requested the harness, we were going to wait and see how he did with the lap belt alone so it was quite a good surprise to see the harness for him). Needless to say, Tommy was SCREAMING. I kissed him goodbye and got off the bus. I started crying as soon as I turned around.

His teacher was nice enough to call me around 10:30am to let me know that Tommy was smiling when he got off the bus (the driver said he stopped as soon as I was out of sight) and having a wonderful time playing. She even let me say hi to him on the phone and he sounded fine. She did mention something about a meltdown regarding the train table - surprise, surprise...

When he got off the bus late morning, he was all smiles. He said he wanted more so we took that as a good sign. I'm sure Monday will hold much of the same as today but I will be much better prepared emotionally. (the last two pictures below are of him coming home)

Thanks to everyone who kept Tommy (and me!) in their thoughts and prayers today!

No comments: